Thursday, January 12, 2012

Timberland Radler Trail Camp Shoes / Crocs


After hiking over 2,000 miles on the Appalachian Trail, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for in camp shoes. The should be easy to slip on while getting out of your tent, because when your freezing your a## off relieving your bladder, you want to be able to move as quickly as possible. They should be secure enough for stream crossings when your trying to keep your hiking shoes dry. And, hopefully, comfortable enough to walk around town in while going easy on blisters.


I started my hike with a pair of Keens for camp shoes. When I got to Damascus Virginia, I picked up a cheap pair of Waldies. I think they were around $6 and about 1/4 the weight. I've since switched to Crocs and have been really happy with them. They are comfortable and light weight. When I cross streams I flip the heel strap down and the holes allow water to drain out. My only complaint is that they a little bulky to pack. So I was interested when I saw Timberland's Radler Trail Camp Shoes. They have a thin rubber sole with mainly ripstop nylon upper with reinforcements in the right places and weigh about the same as Crocs. They also have a "felt" insole about 1/4" thick and come in various colors.


I feel like the zipper is a bit of a gimick. You can clip them to the back of your pack, but who want things dangling off your pack? If they are zippered, they won't dry very fast. I pack camp shoes in my "shovel" pocket on the back, so I would pack them open and flat.

Crocs are easier to slip on, probably drain and dry faster, and probably win in comfort. They are obviously flatter to pack.

I think what I really want is a thin rubber or foam sole with an upper more like the Radler, though maybe simplified, and definitely without a zipper.

Gear Junkie Radler Camp Shoe review.

No comments:

Post a Comment